Saturday, November 7, 2015

Ladakh: Leh Valley Area

In August, I had the chance to visit Ladakh, a part of the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir situated high in the Himalayas along the Indo-Chinese border. I can confidently say that Ladakh is the most beautiful place I have ever visited. At 3,500 meters (11,500 ft) high, the barren landscape and deep blue skies were like nothing I’ve seen before. Driving around the area was a treat, and I spent most of the time on the road hanging out of the car window camera in hand trying to capture the passing landscape. There was no shortage of monasteries and pretty valleys to visit, many of which are pictured below. The highlight of the trip was a visit to Pangong Lake, which will have an entire post dedicated to it. 

I was only able scratch the surface of what there is to see in Ladakh during the week I was there, but with any luck I'll be back soon. Hopefully these photos will give you a taste of what it’s like!


Thikse Gompa
Thikse Monastery, Ladakh. Taken from the Shey Monastery across the valley.


Stok Range
Clouds gather over the Stok range in Leh, Ladakh. The Stok range is one of the most popular trekking routes in the area.


Leh Stupa
A stupa on the outskirts of the town of Leh. Behind it, the Stok Range.


Alchi Paintings
Buddhist paintings inside the Alchi Monastery in Ladakh. The paintings are some of the oldest in the Ladakh area.


Hemis Stairway
A winding staircase at Hemis Monastery, Ladakh.


Prayer Bell
A prayer bell inside of Hemis Monastery, Ladakh.


Hemis Stupa
A stupa at the Hemis Monastery. The high altitude in Ladakh gives the sky an unreal blue hue.


Mountain Light
Clouds move across the mountains creating dramatic shadows. 

Leh Valley
Looking over the Leh Valley. To give you a sense of scale, the small buildings in the center of the image are hangars that could probably fit a full commercial airliner inside.


Ladakh
Between the Royal Enfield motorcycle, the monks, the prayer flags, and the old solar panel, this photo feels very Ladakhi to me.


Shey Stupas
A line of stupas outside of the Shey Monastery in Ladakh.


Leh Monk
A monk at the Leh Monastery looks over the Leh Valley.


Ladakhi Ceiling
A beautiful ceiling surrounded by paintings in the Leh Palace.


The Hard Way
A lightening bolt over the mountains in Leh, Ladakh. I didn't have a tripod with me, so I got this shot the hard way by pointing my camera towards the storm and setting it to burst mode with as long a shutter speed as I could hold steadily. After a few hundred shots I finally got one with lightening in it. Next time I'll bring a tripod...


Leh Town
The main market street in Leh, Ledakh. On the mountains to the left, a monastery and the Leh Palace look over the town.


a quickr pickr post

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Photographer, China enthusiast, climate & energy buff. Working in Delhi with the International Innovation Corps.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP